Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Growing up in 90's India

             Growing up in 90’s India was like watching the 5 day test match in 20-20 format.

The first half of 1990’s:
            I remember how there was only one ‘World class’ automobile company, Maruti Suzuki that was giving Hindustan Motor’s, Ambassador, the symbol of India’s License Raj era, run for it’s money. Oh! And for the people with some taste we also had Doshi’s Padmini Premier.
Getting a phone connection took 5-6 years and would cost a fortune. If I am not mistaken, ‘pp’ became the standard for ones neighbor’s phone number.
          
           You can watch all the television you want, provided you watch it between 6am to 9 am, 12pm-4pm & 5pm-11pm on the grand total of ONE channel ‘Doordarshan’. A friend of mine was in his 3rd year of engineering and during his summer break I went along with him for one opening that was published in the newspaper. There were over 800 ‘potential’ candidates for that one job.

           The effect of 1991 liberalization took a while to reach Baroda, but when it came it came with a ‘bang’.

The second half of 1990’s:
           GM’s German car company Opel opened its plant near Baroda. I started counting the Opel Astra’s that were running on Baroda’s road. I stopped counting after 10. During the post 95 period, I remember my professor of Marketing saying that there are so many car brands that he can’t figure out which model is owned by which company!! Internet café’s became the new place for the youths to hang out. E-mail address now took the place of ‘pp’ on people’s contact info. Cable television gave birth to the new breed of entrepreneurs. Now, you can watch TV anytime you want, on any channel you want, with No conditions applied!!

           I can gladly say that the generation of 90's have seen 'almost' everything!! but I bet fellow Indian's from other generations will say the same.

I concur!


No comments:

Post a Comment