Friday, July 15, 2011

Viki ‘The 5K’ Shah

Yea, I did it…I did it…
Yesterday I ran the 5K (3.1 mile) race and completed!!
Wide varieties of thought came across my mind in those 46:20 minutes. Following is the snapshot of my conversation with my ‘inner’ self.
At the Starting Line: “Viki you can do it…run, wait...should I walk for a mile and then start running? No, it’s a run…not walk…I should run”

After 5 minutes: “I must be close to the 1 mile mark. Crap, 4 guys past me…2 more.  Score:-6”

After 12-13 minutes: “Wait, Did that fat ‘Verizon’ dude just passed me!! This can’t be happening. What was the score, +1…-1”

After 15 minutes: “Yeeea finally passed the official 1 mile marker. Almost home…what the heck, how can this be possible; these guys on the other side are going back!! U turn must be near”

After 20 minutes: “Hmmm the road is down hill from here, I should start running…but then its down hill so I can walk faster and not run. Where is that U turn?”

After 25 minutes: “Oh my God, the lady with the twins stroller just passed me…this is bad. Is that -1 or -3? Hey you ‘athletically superior’ guy…don’t go that fast dude, show some respect”

After 27 minutes: “They must have not kept the 2 mile marker…Two mile’s cannot be this apart!!”

After 31 minutes: “Finally, 2 mile marker. 2 down, 1 more to go…Hmmm just like Tom Hanks in Forest Gump, he ran across America, I am running across Morristown…great”

After 35 minutes: “Oh boy, this is tough. Can’t even quit, my car is parked near the finishing line. I think this alley must be the shortcut to the main street, but everyone is watching…even the cops are near by!!”

After 40 minutes: “Oh no, 4 old women passed me by…viki, run…ehh, how long will they run, they can’t run all the way”

After 43 minutes: “Yes, I see the finishing line. Should I run? No, I have to do the Weekly reporting tomorrow can’t risk spraining my ankle. On the other hand I should at least run from here and ‘make an entry’ to the finish line...but then again my goal is to complete, not compete

After 45 minutes: “No matter what I have to beat that BD guy…and that Verizon gal…and that girl in green jersey…and that ‘walking show-room of the running gear’ guy…and definitely that kid…run viki run”

After crossing the finishing line: “In your face, BD guy…Yes…finally…46:20…not bad…not bad at all. Time to go home. Wait a minute I need to pick up my medal”

                                                    “Way to go”

No comments:

Post a Comment