Friday, May 18, 2012

Kahaani Indian Soap Opera Ki


Most of my blogs come out of my eagerness to know something more about a topic; I can’t say the same for today’s topic. In fact, I loathe it…that’s right; I am talking about the Indian Soap operas (I see a big smile on my co-(Indian soap) haters faces)
India got the first taste of soaps in mid-80 when Hum Log (We People) was first broadcasted on Doordarshan, the government sponsored only Indian channel at that time. The idea of the soap came to then Information and Broadcasting Minister, Vasant Sathe, after a Mexican trip in 1982. Hum Log had 154 episodes and was a huge hit. Fast forward to 2000 and a lady named Ekta Kapoor aka the Queen of Indian television launched, Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, which literally means Because the Mother-in-Law Was Once the Daughter-in-Law. It was the beginning of the era of the neo-Indian soap opera, in other words, the newer and stupider (I don’t think it’s a word, but who cares) version of the 80’s soap opera. To say they are slow and long and boring and irritating and nonsensical and nightmarish would be an understatement. Heck, I think it’s a cure for insomnia. Whenever it’s on, I do the impossible… I hate my TV, can you imagine (sorry buddy, except for the Indian soap bull crap, you know you are my ‘only friend’!!)
Don’t get me wrong, there are some programs which I don’t like, but Indian Soaps, they make me angry. I always tell Jeenal, you don’t need to watch it every day, you watch one episode a month and you will catch up the next month because they are so freaking slow. I tried, but to no avail. To Ekta and her fellow producer’s credit they were able to garner a huge chunk of the mass market. The dedicated followers are in millions (one of them being my wife). The funny thing is not a single soap on any channel has ever had a proper ‘ending’. Either it had to be pulled off or one of the lead characters had a dispute with the producers or producers had a fight with the channels. But as they say, the show must go on and the stupid Indian soap does goes on, literally…
Personally I feel that Indian Soaps are a conspiracy by the secretive Indian Wives society against their husband’s habits of watching ‘informative’ shows like News, Films, Cricket and Football. I think it’s time for us husbands to get together and fight back…Ha! Who am I kidding? For some dreams never see the light of reality.  
May Peace and TV Remote be with us…?

No comments:

Post a Comment